Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Free-man's Guidebook

The Free-man's Guidebook
By Silencio Diakos

Subject: How to set a meeting with a Producer.

I have often heard Statements such as “he is to busy for me” or “she has rescheduled on me three times” said by those that are stuck in the [consumer-condition].
For a consumer getting a [Producer] to schedule a meeting or to even “give them the time of day” as they might say can often be a very frustrating task- or so it seems.
Prior to my becoming a Free-man I found this a very common feeling. The above statements were ones I’ve used many times myself. It wasn’t until one morning when I took the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin off the shelf it had been sitting on for years and began reading that I realized I could meet with him or any other producer I wanted when and wherever I wanted. I found that my reading skills and imagination could get almost all of the information he could offer me right from the pages of that book, possibly more than if he were sitting across the table from me in person. I learned amazing things from my meetings with Old Ben. He gave me the inspiration to start this Guidebook. He taught me how to weigh out Pros and Cons whenever faced with a decision. To sum it all up my meetings with Benjamin Franklin were “electrifying” pun intended, if you don’t get that you have a lot of reading to do.
Since this is a guidebook, I am sure you are expecting some guidance or great advice on the title subject “How to set a meeting with a Producer”, so here it is.
Prior to using the energy of scheduling an appointment with someone you look to as a Producer here are 4 steps I would take.
Do your best to make sure the meeting has a definite purpose for ALL involved. Meaning the meeting should create value and prosper ALL who attend, not just you.
If the definite purpose can be solved without meeting than don’t meet until it can’t. Meaning all the “due diligence” you could do, has been done.
Study anything and everything you can about the producer before you meet. This can save you their “precious time” and give you leverage with them. Meaning you won’t just be a dead battery they feel they have to recharge and they may even get some charge from you which could lead to future meetings with them more often.
If your purpose in meeting is to get the Producer’s opinion save both of you some time and study the principles the Producer lives by. Meaning Producers know that principles govern so they form their opinions from principles not emotions.

In summary most of the 4 steps I mentioned have to be done by you. If you are not willing to take the action steps then continue to enjoy the frustration of not meeting with the Producers. Don’t worry eventually your desire to meet with them will go away, which will entitle you to file a complaint, adding one more to the ever growing list of things “there ought to be a law against” or if filling a complaint is too much work you. Then just join the crowds of Consumers that whine and moan about producers whenever they get the chance.

No comments: